Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fab 52:3

1988 and my second year of teaching kindergarten at a private school in the city. One little boy, Dwayne, instantly found his way into a part of my heart forever. He was, in a word, understated. His family had little but he gave his all; how could you not love that? In the honeymoon period of both my career and my marriage and life was grand. Christmas came and the students gave me presents. I sure didn't expect that but it was wonderful to feel even more special than I did every day. Dwayne sheepishly handed me a gift; he'd been watching me open the occasional too much of gift from his classmates. I graciously took the wrapped box he held and with him beside me untied and unwrapped it carefully. As much as I loved that little boy, I loved this gift: he again gave his all. What was that now, 23 years ago? Many student gifts have come throughout these years, but that one has stayed. A little wooden rocking horse adorned in my favorite red ribbon bow. Thank you, Dwayne. I hope you're still giving it your all wherever your life has taken you. I'll never forget your kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers